I fly like paper, get high like planes. If you catch me at the border I got visas in my name. If you come around here, I make ’em all day. I get one down in a second if you wait….
Okay so at this point in time I should be 38,000 feet in the air en route to Melbourne via Hong Kong. Well plans have changed slightly. I am in a hotel room and now taking a 10pm flight to Melbourne via Singapore that gets in a 4:45am instead of 8pm on Saturday night.
This morning I awoke and said goodbye and thank you to Marmi and Uncle before taking the tube to Heathrow Terminal 4. It was at this point that things got a little interesting. I went to check in and the first comment I got was “this flight is overbooked, would you be prepared to take a later flight. You will be compensated for the inconvenience.” My first response was one of shock and that I didn’t really want to go through the trouble of changing flights. I had already told my friends and family when I would be arriving. It was all planned and I was really looking forward to seeing them all as well. However, it was when the check in dude pointed to a piece of paper that said “516 pounds cash compensation” that I thought about the offer. It turned out that the offer was for the cash (or 710 pounds worth of travel vouchers), a day in the Heathrow Hilton, free lunch and free dinner.
At this point a million thoughts were racing through my head. Most of them pound and dollar signs as my ‘brokeness’ means that 1000 dollars is a very handy cheaque to cash. I went over and used one of those credit card international telephones to try and call mum. I was unsure but the offer seemed too good to refuse. While I was calling her mobile and getting no response I decided that my friends and family would understand, the offer was too good to refuse and I would take the later flight. When I got through to my answering machine I left a message with mum that said “Iwill be going on a later flight for 1000 bucks. Tell the masses.” I then went over and signed up.
As I was there so early I was second on the list and that meant that there was a 99% chance that I would be needed to take the later flight but I stil had to wait around until 11:30am when check in closed for final confirmation. I did get a 7 pound starbucks voucher to use while I waited though which gave me something to do. 11:30am rolled around and yep I was filling in the forms regard to be one of the volunteers (how it is volunteering when I am being paid I do not know?) and was soon sitting back and relaxing in my hotel room watching the aussies struggle in the Ashes.
After sending proper emails home and speaking to a few friends to inform them of the changed situation I then went and grabbed my lunch. I ended up eating with a bloke who I had chatted with in the line who was doing the same thing. It was good though as I ate my 22 pound free rib eye steak and we watched/chatted cricket. I now have the rest of the day to kill while bumming around on the net and watching cricket….time I am being paid 100+ dollars an hour for haha
I really want to be home. I really want to see friends and family and I really want to get back to my Australian life. However, I really want a thousand dollars and I think I made the right choice 😀
3 Comments »
- This is the last song, (This is the last song). That I will dedicate to you. Made my peace and now i’m through..
- I fly like paper, get high like planes. If you catch me at the border I got visas in my name. If you come around here, I make ’em all day. I get one down in a second if you wait….
- Just a little insight won’t make this right. It’s too late to fight. It ends tonight, It ends tonight.
- Everything has changed (everything has changed), the faces stay the same (faces stay the same)…
- Come on baby, light my fire. Come on baby, light my fire. Try to set the night on fire…
- Louie louie, Oh baby I gotta go. Louie louie, Oh baby I gotta go.
- Milo Venus was a beautiful lass. She had the world in the palm of her hand. But she lost both her arms in a wrestling match…
- Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir (ce soir, what what what) Voulez vous coucher avec moi
- I’m leaving for Paris, no I don’t think that I’ll see you. I’m leaving for Paris, no I don’t think that I need to. So I’m leaving for Paris, won’t you try to take care of yourself?
- Lillee’s pounding down like a machine. Pascoe’s making divots in the green. Marshy’s taking wickets. Hookesy’s clearing pickets…
- Board games have a double meaning in this caravan in Wales. You sink ships when we should be kissing. Monopoly has thrown us in jail!
- Little girl, little girl. Why are you crying? Inside your restless soul, your heart is dying.