Oh I’m still lost and running, I can’t get enough…
It is really weird. I feel at home. I am thousands of miles from the place I would call “home” if asked “where do I come from?” but yet….I am comfortably at home.
I arrived in Leeds at 4pm yesterday and there were familar places everywhere I looked. I got off my bus from London and took a cab to my dorm from the same place I have taken cabs many times before after nights out on the town. I didn’t think I had missed Leeds, but it felt really good to be back here.
Even the day or so that I spent in Ham felt strangely “homely”. I had only spent 2 weeks there earlier in the year, but I came from travelling Ireland on my own and there were friendly, familar faces, home cooked meals and the ability to do nothing greeting me when I arrived. You can hardly call a stopover home, but it definitely felt very homely…
I have just come back from the pub with Brent and Josh after watching some soccer and a day spent streaming television shows and eating pop tarts. The one thing that stands out strongly in my head though is that I am so glad to be in Leeds for six weeks. I miss Australia and Melbourne as much as, if not more than, I did when I left…but I also missed Leeds. I have made a life here that I enjoy a lot and I am so glad I get to continue living it for just a little longer.
On a somewhat related and unrelate note, I completed a facebook survey thing about the cities I have travelled to in my lifetime. At the end, it produced a world map with pins representing all the destinations I have “ticked off”. It was way too empty. By the time I am old and bald….wait that probably should be just “by the time I am old” :P, I want to have more pins than land visible but it was just too sparse. I will definitely knock off a number of other countries before I arrive “properly home” on July 18th, but I can’t help thinking that there are so many other parts of Europe I want to, but won’t see, in my travels this year. So many other pins that need to be planted…and that isn’t even considering I haven’t poked into Africa or South America yet!
No comments yet.
- This is the last song, (This is the last song). That I will dedicate to you. Made my peace and now i’m through..
- I fly like paper, get high like planes. If you catch me at the border I got visas in my name. If you come around here, I make ’em all day. I get one down in a second if you wait….
- Just a little insight won’t make this right. It’s too late to fight. It ends tonight, It ends tonight.
- Everything has changed (everything has changed), the faces stay the same (faces stay the same)…
- Come on baby, light my fire. Come on baby, light my fire. Try to set the night on fire…
- Louie louie, Oh baby I gotta go. Louie louie, Oh baby I gotta go.
- Milo Venus was a beautiful lass. She had the world in the palm of her hand. But she lost both her arms in a wrestling match…
- Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir (ce soir, what what what) Voulez vous coucher avec moi
- I’m leaving for Paris, no I don’t think that I’ll see you. I’m leaving for Paris, no I don’t think that I need to. So I’m leaving for Paris, won’t you try to take care of yourself?
- Lillee’s pounding down like a machine. Pascoe’s making divots in the green. Marshy’s taking wickets. Hookesy’s clearing pickets…
- Board games have a double meaning in this caravan in Wales. You sink ships when we should be kissing. Monopoly has thrown us in jail!
- Little girl, little girl. Why are you crying? Inside your restless soul, your heart is dying.