It’s always in the back of your mind. When everything is dark, still something shines. One chilly afternoon, you drew the blind..
So I’ve had a busy 24 hours but, as predicted, no work was completed. I set off to Scarborough last night at 6:12. When I arrived an hour or so later it turns out that we were right and it was a ‘coastal town’. The first sign I saw when exiting the station directing my to “the seaside” confirmed it! I waited a minute or two before Ben and his twin brother Gary picked me up and we went back to their holiday home. I got to see a little bit of the town, but as it was dark by then it took until this morning for me to confirm that yes it is a charming kind of town.
However that wasn’t really the point. If Scarborough the town had been the reason for my travel the cyclonic winds and rain that battered us most of the night would’ve worried me. However, Narnia was the aim and thus after we ate some pasta we proceeded to watch the first 1/2 of the Narnia BBC miniseries from the late 80s. It was an awesome experience to relive your childhood. You discover things that you never noticed like the fact the mythical creatures are pretty crappy 2d animation over the live action backdrop. You notice that Lucy is quite a weird looking child, the Aslan puppet thing is actually brilliant and the acting of some of the kids is good while others are atrocious. It also has quite a few jokes that go over your head as a child. It was great fun.
Anyway at about 2am, after most of Narnia and a few beers we went off to bed. The rest could wait until another day. When we woke up though, before I headed back to catch my train back to Leeds, there was a really funny show on TV. The title itself got us, especially as it was 10am on a Tuesday on Channel 4 – KNTV Sex. Pure interest lead us to watch it and what it turned out to be was the weirdest kids sex education show you would ever see. Its message was clear, and repeated every 15 seconds. Condoms good, STIs bad. However, it also had a ex-soviet union theme that was random. Random use of “Funniest home videos” type clips and even more random segues in to statements that you should always use a condom. I swear any normal school kid watching this ‘educational’ show may have ended up covering every inch of their body in prophylactics 24/7….just a weird show!
After I arrived back in Leeds I quickly got a subway (where the ‘artist’ proceeded to ignore all my requests of ‘no corn’ or ‘not toasted’ and ‘just a little bit of sauce’…artist my ass! haha) before meeting up with Joey. The plan to grab coffee went ahead but we got coffee in Borders. Why Borders you ask? Well we were planning our trip to the USA which looks like going ahead. In the end we have provisionally decided on spending the first two weeks of june (ish) in the USA. Flying from London to Washington DC where we spend about 2 days there. Then we train it up to New York for 6 days. Train it to Boston for 2 days. Ride the rails again to Buffalo (to see Niagra falls) for a night and then finish off with 3 nights or so in Toronto before flying back to London. A quick look at the Internet means that it should only cost about $2500 max for the 2 weeks which is about 500 dollars more than I would spend in 2 weeks in Europe…pretty good deal if you ask me 🙂
This now means that I will probably do Copenhagen and Stockholm before the USA. Do my 9 days or so in Prague from the 15th of June (ish) and then I will do Vienna, Munich and Berlin before I go to Cardiff for Day 1 of the Ashes. Fit in Paris of about 4 days before a couple of days in London and Day 1 of the Lords test before I head home to Australia. A rough plan for a brilliantly hectic two weeks!!
3 Comments »
- This is the last song, (This is the last song). That I will dedicate to you. Made my peace and now i’m through..
- I fly like paper, get high like planes. If you catch me at the border I got visas in my name. If you come around here, I make ’em all day. I get one down in a second if you wait….
- Just a little insight won’t make this right. It’s too late to fight. It ends tonight, It ends tonight.
- Everything has changed (everything has changed), the faces stay the same (faces stay the same)…
- Come on baby, light my fire. Come on baby, light my fire. Try to set the night on fire…
- Louie louie, Oh baby I gotta go. Louie louie, Oh baby I gotta go.
- Milo Venus was a beautiful lass. She had the world in the palm of her hand. But she lost both her arms in a wrestling match…
- Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir (ce soir, what what what) Voulez vous coucher avec moi
- I’m leaving for Paris, no I don’t think that I’ll see you. I’m leaving for Paris, no I don’t think that I need to. So I’m leaving for Paris, won’t you try to take care of yourself?
- Lillee’s pounding down like a machine. Pascoe’s making divots in the green. Marshy’s taking wickets. Hookesy’s clearing pickets…
- Board games have a double meaning in this caravan in Wales. You sink ships when we should be kissing. Monopoly has thrown us in jail!
- Little girl, little girl. Why are you crying? Inside your restless soul, your heart is dying.