You’re the voice, try and understand it, Make a noise and make it clear, We’re not gonna sit in silence, We’re not gonna live with fear!
So yesterday was both Australia Day and my first day of classes- a busy day in all respects. However, before I start I have a confession to make. When I went shopping for food at the top of my list was Orange Juice. I would need a drink with breakfast I thought. I bought a 3 litre bottle as it was cheap and looked pulp free (I blame Shan for this preference hehe), yet when I took it home and drank it…IT WAS HORRIBLE. I wrote it off as an experience, I would drink the rest and then buy something else next time.
It was only yesterday morning that I was reading the bottle as I ate my yogurt for brekkie that I realised why it was horrible…it is not Orange Juice but Cordial! It says on the back that you need to dilute it 1 in 4, something I clearly didn’t see and I was drinking it straight. I COMPLETELY missed this as it looked exactly like Orange Juice, had a lot of words like “natural” on the bottle and well, because I am clearly an idiot! So it turns out my shopping skills may not be as good as I had thought😛
I have to say that yesterday I was slightly nervous before my first class. I didn’t know where any of the lecture theatres were. I didn’t know if I would like my classes, my lectures or if people would like me. I didn’t know if they would bombard me with question in a “Rowena Cantly-Smith-style”…it was just unknown. But in the end it all went well.
I went to my first class (Crime Prevention and Community Safety), found the lecture theatre easily, as it was well signed. I managed to understand my lecturer clearly – maybe even more clearly than most of my Australian lecturers back at Monash. On top of that as it was the first lecture we only got 5 mins into the course material before it was over! It was just like back home, expect the lecture theatre was a bit wierd. The Lecture Theatre had no aisles, but numbers doors along the wall so that from outside the room, in the stair well, you picked your row and entered the room by that tiny door and you STAYED in that row.
My other class was Gender and the Law and although we actually covered a fair bit of work here as we only have like 7 lectures in the whole semester AND…I actually enjoyed the discussion. It may actually turn into my favourite class which is something I wouldn’t have expected (Well maybe if I had read any of the literature before I arrived I may have realised the topics were pretty cool haha). I will say though, I have never been in a room and felt more male! Or is that felt more masculine? Or like a man?- they all have different meanings I found out😉
Now for Australia Day we had always planned to go out. Seeing as it was the first day of classes and a good way to blow out any homesickness. We started off by catching up with a fellow Aussie from Monash at his place – a cool place and a cooler guy, picking up a few brits and heading off to Walkabout. Now I have discussed walkabout before, but last night it was almost infested with Australians. All of us dressed in some form of flag, hat, zinc cream, wife beater, etc combination…it was like being at the cricket without the melonheads and it was great fun. We had great aussie music playing – initially it was JJJ’s hottest 100 but then the horrible DJ started up with all the music we requested (Barnesy, Farnsy, Living Endsy, etc).
My night was a little later than I initially planned as we ended up heading off to some club (that we couldn’t get into despite ages in a line) and then another club (that was another fun few hours), but it was the perfect end to a good day. It was even better as I don’t start class until 2pm today so I could sleep in afterwards😛
3 Comments »
- This is the last song, (This is the last song). That I will dedicate to you. Made my peace and now i’m through..
- I fly like paper, get high like planes. If you catch me at the border I got visas in my name. If you come around here, I make ’em all day. I get one down in a second if you wait….
- Just a little insight won’t make this right. It’s too late to fight. It ends tonight, It ends tonight.
- Everything has changed (everything has changed), the faces stay the same (faces stay the same)…
- Come on baby, light my fire. Come on baby, light my fire. Try to set the night on fire…
- Louie louie, Oh baby I gotta go. Louie louie, Oh baby I gotta go.
- Milo Venus was a beautiful lass. She had the world in the palm of her hand. But she lost both her arms in a wrestling match…
- Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir (ce soir, what what what) Voulez vous coucher avec moi
- I’m leaving for Paris, no I don’t think that I’ll see you. I’m leaving for Paris, no I don’t think that I need to. So I’m leaving for Paris, won’t you try to take care of yourself?
- Lillee’s pounding down like a machine. Pascoe’s making divots in the green. Marshy’s taking wickets. Hookesy’s clearing pickets…
- Board games have a double meaning in this caravan in Wales. You sink ships when we should be kissing. Monopoly has thrown us in jail!
- Little girl, little girl. Why are you crying? Inside your restless soul, your heart is dying.