What is love? Baby don’t hurt me…don’t hurt me…no more
Okay so I’ve gone and broken to of my self imposed rules. 1) I am posting twice in one day 2) I have gone and titled a post using song lyrics again. But it was tonight, after I had posted about my rather expected day of tourist activities that I had a somewhat more unique thought. I started to think about family (and yeah, WARNING this may get deep😉 haha).
Family has always been a somewhat abstract construct to me and I’ve never known if my idea of what a family is has corresponded with those around me. I remember being told off by one of my grandparents at a young age when I refered to “my family” specifically meaning my mother, father and brother. As a young 7 or 8 I wasn’t sure about the social taboos or what I was “supposed” to say and just used a term that I believed to be apt.
I have now travelled halfway around the world and am staying with gracious hosts, who besides meeting me twice rather a while ago, only know me in the sense that our family trees connect at my Great Grandmother/Great Grandfather. I arrived here and have been treated almost no differently to anybody else around the dinner table. Is that what family is? Is family offering a bed and dinner to someone because of a family tree? Maybe…
I could probably have stopped there, but through discussions and interactions with people (people who I feel a level of satisfaction in calling family) today and on the other days since I arrived, I’ve started to wonder if family should be defined not just in this simple way, but in a more complex way. Maybe family is about having a shared history but I wonder if family is more about having a shared present.
On paper, I think the shared past is what leads us to refer to someone family (I am my uncles nephew because he is my fathers brother and the like), but there is a surprising connection I have discovered with the little/big things in our lives that are shared among families. These little and big things that may or may not be obvious, but are defining characteristics in how we live.
I’m stating to think that maybe the Mexicans were on to something with the Day of the Dead and our ancestors play a larger role in who we are than what we give them credit for western world. Maybe family is more than just about lines in a family tree. Or maybe I’m just talking shit…
6 Comments »
- This is the last song, (This is the last song). That I will dedicate to you. Made my peace and now i’m through..
- I fly like paper, get high like planes. If you catch me at the border I got visas in my name. If you come around here, I make ’em all day. I get one down in a second if you wait….
- Just a little insight won’t make this right. It’s too late to fight. It ends tonight, It ends tonight.
- Everything has changed (everything has changed), the faces stay the same (faces stay the same)…
- Come on baby, light my fire. Come on baby, light my fire. Try to set the night on fire…
- Louie louie, Oh baby I gotta go. Louie louie, Oh baby I gotta go.
- Milo Venus was a beautiful lass. She had the world in the palm of her hand. But she lost both her arms in a wrestling match…
- Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir (ce soir, what what what) Voulez vous coucher avec moi
- I’m leaving for Paris, no I don’t think that I’ll see you. I’m leaving for Paris, no I don’t think that I need to. So I’m leaving for Paris, won’t you try to take care of yourself?
- Lillee’s pounding down like a machine. Pascoe’s making divots in the green. Marshy’s taking wickets. Hookesy’s clearing pickets…
- Board games have a double meaning in this caravan in Wales. You sink ships when we should be kissing. Monopoly has thrown us in jail!
- Little girl, little girl. Why are you crying? Inside your restless soul, your heart is dying.